Friday's Fic Fit 5.21.2010



Every Friday, we’ll ease your cravings for a hit/fic by passing on something that’s been rec’d to us. This means that if there’s a fic you wanna see, you’ll need to submit it! Stories that fit the theme of our upcoming podcast are most appreciated.
For today’s reading pleasure, Flanny would like to rec Cullen, Unscripted by FL95.
FL95 submitted her own fic to us because, as you may know, a rec is the only way to see something appear as a Friday Fic Fit. If there’s a fic you’d like see us rec, your own or someone else’s, click the button to your left and tell us about it!
Summary:
When Edward Cullen scores an entry level internship as a writer for his distant Uncle's TV Station immediately following College, his life takes some funny turns as he makes new friends and finds love. AH, BxE, Rated L for Lemons, Laughing and Language.
Flanny’s official pimping:
I’d venture to say that the story should be rated C as well, for a Cocky Cullen Comedy. FL95’s style, which I got to know by reading Dick, is straight forward, self-aware and quite charming. In this story, Eddie-boy might have landed a choice job by many people’s standards, but he is a landmine of misfortune. Take this lovely example of clumsiness and misconstrued signals as exhibit A:
“This is that part of the story where I really wish I could rewind the events I'm about to tell you about, delete them, replace them with something a little more…not quite so embarrassing, and then live my life without shame.
But alas, here's what actually happened.
See when Bella leaned in like that, I thought she was leaning in to kiss me, not to TALK to me.
Stupid, yeah, I know, but in the moment, what else was I supposed to think?
So I leaned toward her, closing my eyes, puckering a little, in the anticipation to feel her soft, perfect lips against mine, hearing nothing but John Mayer in my head, singing that song about dancing in a burning room.
Then I heard a very quiet, very nervous, "Um…."
"What the fuck are you doing, monkey?" came another voice from not so far away and I snapped my eyes open, only to be met with a blushing, doe eyed, shocked Bella, her mouth slightly ajar, backing away slowly.
My equilibrium was thrown off, my mouth became dry and I fell forward, into Bella. My hands threw themselves into her for balance, I swear, but landed square on her breasts and she screamed.”
Another stylistic choice which the author makes that I enjoy, is the way she unabashedly breaks down the fourth wall of fiction; making the reader an active participant in the narrative:
"Consanguineous," she answered…saying it with the utmost matter of factness. It was like I didn't even NEED to give her any direction, she just knew how the line needed to be said.
Her voice was like a song.
I needed to write her more lines.
Oh yeah, consanguineous, by the way…that means they're of the same blood…related by birth, descended from the same parent or ancestor. I like big words.
She also writes Bella’s POV, but I have to say, my preference is first person Edward, which is what this author is most skilled at... although I did enjoy Bella’s take on her scene partner, Mike’s, penchant for onion bagels before the kissy kissy scenes. In the words of The Amazingly Talented Miss Isabella Swan POV:
Blech.”
Don’t expect flowery language or angst, and you will not be disappointed. Meh, the world has enough angst and sometimes, a girl just wants to get off and laugh. Is that too much to ask for? Nah-uh. I’m pleased to pimp this fic which is full of witty dialogue, an ongoing, first person inner narrative with a casual conversational tone, and one of the hottest first kisses in comedic fic.
This fic has my crack-whorish approval, due to the dry wit and sexy, yet simple narrative style.
So go check it out and tell FL95 that The Pimps sent you.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At May 21, 2010 at 6:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I. Luff. You.

Seriously...thanks lady, your description of my story makes ME wanna go read it! ;)

xoxoxoxoxo
Jo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home