Friday's Fic Fit 5.28.2010

Every Friday, we’ll ease your cravings for a hit/fic by passing on something that’s been rec’d to us. This means that if there’s a fic you wanna see, you’ll need to submit it! Stories that fit the theme of our upcoming podcast are most appreciated.

For today’s reading pleasure, Jess would like to rec Healing Hands by IamKate

wordslinger told us “There really are so few Jake/Nessie fics out there that are worth reading. In even smaller numbers are interesting AH Jake/Nessie fics. This one is well written and the author seems to have a firm grasp of her character. It's humorous yet poignant.

Not to mention the idea of a young girl living the dream of actually getting that hot older guy, is... well... hot.”

I saw this in the queue and jumped on it for three reasons: 1) This is the only Jacob fic that’s been rec’d yet. Where are you Team Jacob? 2) Like wordslinger said, the young girl living the dream of getting the hot, older guy is… well… hot. 3) wordslinger has rec’d some awesome fics to me in the past, and I couldn’t wait to chat with her about another awesome fic!






Summary:
Jacob Black stood by as the woman he loved, Bella, married another man. Years later, Jake's injured in an accident. The only one who can help him recover is his god-daughter Nessie…Bella's daughter who happens to be in love with her much older friend. AH


Jess’ official pimping:
This is a WIP that’s only five chapters in, and I was really sad to be caught up already (though I get to look forward to the updates!). While waiting for a new chapter, wordslinger and I gabbed about it some, and just ‘cause I like to be different, I’m gonna share (an edited version of) our conversation.

We’d both read all that's available of Healing Hands when we chatted, but since the fic is only five chapters in, any spoilers would be very mild. Our language, however, is not. You’ve been warned.

***
Jess: She has an amazing way of making the UST go from zero to sixty but it doesn’t feel rushed.

Wordslinger: Oh, I totally agree. It feels natural. It could be because she implied right off the bat that Nessie was in love with Jacob. Even at 13 and on his wedding day, no less! She’s obviously been holding a candle for him all these years.

It’s just a good romance. I really like it. I’m sure that’s obvious. I can’t stop going on about it, LOL!

Jess: I LOVED that wedding scene.


And, uh, I’m pretty sure I’d be holding a fucking torch for him. He’s Jacob for fuck’s sake!

Wordslinger: The wedding scene made me cry!

Jess: Aw, unfeeling wordslinger cried!! That is something to note! Kidding. I didn’t cry... but I’m sick so everything is only hitting me in a glossy sort of way anyway.


I know I’d fuck him in his wheelchair. It’d be fuckhot too. Don’t lie... I know you would. Go ahead... picture Taylor in a wheelchair and try to stay off of him.

Wordslinger: I’d totally fuck Taylor in a wheelchair. That’s some chair sex I could get into! LOL


Yeah I did cry. It was an intense scene! Re-read it when you’re not in a sick fog. I promise, it’s heart wrenching.

Jess: I don’t know that there’s any fanfic that’s ever made me cry. I’ve come close. And I did during that. But I think a part of me knows if I start crying then it’ll get harder to read!

Wordslinger: I’ve cried before. Kodak has programmed me to cry at fictional sentimental moments.

Jess: I don’t know why I don’t cry at more fanfic. I’m an easy crier. I really think it might have to do with being unable to read if I start crying.

Wordslinger: I cry during sappy commercials and songs. It’s pathetic.


It’s hooked me in because it seems so forbidden. The author makes a note at the beginning that (like me) her mom read a lot of Harlequin (and other various) romance novels. So, she had this thought to twist that into a Jake/Nessie fic. I’m enjoying it.


The author responded to all my reviews, which I always love!

Jess: Yea, it’s great. Her characters are really witty... which is always fun.

Wordslinger: It’s hot in a romance novel sort of way. I can’t say enough about that fic. It’s going to be so hot when they finally get busy. I’m in love with it. I’m intrigued by this notion of an older man like this. Funny and sentimental. So different for a Jake/Nessie fic! It’s just so different. I really like her characters too. They’re not stupid or unbelievable. It was just fun to read. Not to mention the promise of total hotness later.


It really leaves you wanting more. I grew up secretly reading my mom’s romance novel stash. That shit stays with you I guess.

Jess: I totally know what you mean.
***

Jess’ Final Thought: This fic is really unique and witty. The author is sort of going for the feel of classic Harlequin novels, and I think she’s pulling it off nicely. Jacob has an appropriately hard time dealing with his changing feelings for Ness but ultimately can’t deny them (thank god!).

So go check it out and tell IamKate that The Pimp sent you.


Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At May 28, 2010 at 1:16 PM , Blogger Candace said...

Since I have no fucking clue what good grammar looks like, I can only hope that you beta'd my emails. It would be a shame for people to see how bad I really am. :P

Yeah, this fic is great. Obviously.

 
At May 30, 2010 at 2:44 AM , Blogger Kelli said...

Aww, thank you so much for spotlighting my story! I really appreciate it. *hugs*

 
At May 31, 2010 at 12:49 PM , Blogger Dazzled~by~Jake said...

From the beta LOL...thanks for supporting IAK's fic! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home