Friday's Fic Fit 6.04.2010


Every Friday, we’ll ease your cravings for a hit/fic by passing on something that’s been rec’d to us. This means that if there’s a fic you wanna see, you’ll need to submit it! Stories that fit the theme of our upcoming podcast are most appreciated.
Post Jack! This week, a Pimp was pwned hardcore and is stealing this post to tell you about a fuckawesome fic that she stumbled across on her own. Your regularly scheduled Friday Fic Fit will return next Friday.
For today’s reading pleasure, Flanny would like to rec Get Me to You by Chicklette.




Summary:

Winner of Winter 2010 Indie! Pet names and Pop Tarts. Sunday mornings with Etta and Ella. Cibola. Candymouth. You finally realize the truth. What if it's too late? M for drinking, drug use, sex and effing language. ExBxJxAxEm/POV, AH, OOC.
Flanny's official pimping:
Get Me to You opens with:
“It didn't matter that it wasn't going to work with me and Edward. It didn't matter that I loved him with my whole heart, and it didn't matter that for one perfect afternoon and one perfect night he had loved me that way too.”
I surmise that indeed, it didn’t matter that Chicklette wrote this entire story using run-on sentences. It didn’t matter that she broke rules of grammar by turning her nose up at the use of silly punctuation such as quotation marks, and it didn’t matter that for one perfect afternoon I fell head-over-heels in love with this unique, beautiful and utterly haunting fic. Oh wait, it did! That’s why I’ve hijacked the Friday Fic Fit!
As soon as I finished reading this magnum opus, I hit twitter, begging for people to discuss the fic with me. Surely someone else in the fandom had laughed and cried and bled over this story too? I need to quote her again. I have no words to accurately convey the unique narrative voice this author employs:
“So I take her kisses in the hallway and when she gets that look like she's the deer and they're the Hummer I take her hand and I pull her out of it because that's what you do when you love somebody. And I love that girl. Be clear on that. It might not be the crushing, killing love that I have for Alice, but it's love and it's real and if Cullen comes calling I might just have to fight him. For Sunday mornings. Candymouth. Etta and Ella and cotton panties.”
After reading every chapter, I left the following spastic review: I've never quite read a story narrated this way, like a drunk prom queen who also happens to be the the valedictorian; she's rambling out every POV at once without taking a breath or bothering with silly things like quotation marks. I have to think on this one. I think it's made my top ten list of all-time favourite fanfics. I fucking love you!
Without revealing too much, the story opens with canon pairings, but soon it becomes evident that the author is ‘shipping Bella and Jasper. I don’t typically read Jasper fics, however this Jasper made me fall in love. He’s beautiful and achingly lovable. Only a woman could create a man this perfect.
The story is all human, retaining certain elements of canon character personas: Rosalie is snarky, Alice is flighty, and Emmett is, well, Emmett:
“So someone finally tapped Bella. I got to say, it is about damn time. Because that girl has been flaunting that shit since she got here. She's been sitting on laps and kissing cheeks and necks and hands and I sure as fuck was certain that it was all for Eddie. But damn, when I saw the way Jasper's hand curved around her ass, just for a second there, I knew that my boy had tapped that shit, and it was still going strong.”
But nothing could have prepared me for Chicklette’s Jasper, whom I love more than any Jasper who ever came before him:
“The next morning I go to the kitchen and Mama's got a hot cup of tea for me and she says did I see Bella leaving here this morning and I just nod. I like her, you know, she says and I know. I sit down and the table and she gives me a good long looking over. You two patch things up, she asks. I look into my cup and shake my head. Didn't think so, she says, and wraps her arms around my neck.
Then she says baby boy, and she holds me tight and I need it and she knows it. Mama, I say and she says shush now and holds me a little longer. I feel small and loved and it's healing but I don't deserve it.”
This story burned life back into my cold heart. Read it. Get thee to Chicklette’s “Get Me to You” and tell her that BellaFlan and The Pimps sent you.
And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At June 4, 2010 at 9:26 PM , Blogger Chicklette said...

oh my gosh! I just wanted to pop in and say hi and thank you SO much! I've gotten 20 new reviews today, and most are totally attributable to your fantastic pimping.

thank you, thank you, thank you. :)

 
At June 5, 2010 at 11:31 PM , Blogger Herm_73 said...

I was going to come in and "Rec a Fic" for you guys and now I don't need to! "Get Me to You" was going to be it!

I adore this fic, it the first Jasper/Bella fic that I read and I don't think that I have found another fic in which I have enjoyed any pairing as much as I love Chick's J&B!

Like you have mentioned, the way it was written was like nothing I have read before and I was hooked!

In the fandom where there are so many loooong stories, (and so little leisure time available) GMTY makes a wonderful shortish read (6 Chapters) for anyone - not just J&B fans!

I totally blame Chicklette for starting my Jasper/Bella preferences!

Wonderful story Chick - Thanks to the Fic Pimps for reviewing this wonderful little story!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home